Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Smoke Letter

"Day 13: Send a letter to a mass murderer" (Benrik).

After getting past Day 5, this is where I normally stop. However, I found a way around this yesterday and I am now successfully on Day 14, which is a lot easier (pay someone a compliment). Although the book provides a list of nine mass murderers, complete with their addresses, it does not specifically state that I have to mail the letters. So, I decided to write a letter, and then burn it, hoping the smoke would send a form of ethereal message to the intended. The Native American Indians used to signal each other with smoke--granted, they weren't burning a letter they had written first--why couldn't I?

If you had been standing in my backyard, or on the highway ... If you had been the neighbor, resting on the adjoining fence of our properties, taking a moment to remove your knitted hat to let your head breathe, steam rising from your wet black hair, leaning on the fence for a brief reprieve from picking up sticks in your back yard, and you looked over to the neighbors, you saw Cassie's full grown son, almost 30, standing above a flaming pan on the ground, maybe 6 feet from the house. Maybe you saw the black smoke first, and you wondered what a fire was doing so close to the house? And then you see him, standing above it, an odd look on his face. You ask yourself, what is he burning? And why? Out of all of the possible conclusions you would have run through your mind--No. In fact, I was burning a letter written to a not-so-nice person.

2 comments:

Skip Potts said...

Ahh the technical loophole, well done in moving into your second week my friend. Hope the job hunt is going well, but if not, the call of the road is still there. Harken brother, harken

Sondra said...

I wrote a letter to Ted Kaczynski, the unibomber, he is incarsirated in the Federal Pen near Buena Vista Colorado...he never replied. I read he hates women and blames us Women for the down fall of the American Family. Hmf.