Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I'm Going to Eat Your Brains




The best thing about deciding not to be a vegetarian for a while is not caring what is on a menu and whether or not you can eat it. Last night was one of those nights where Skip and I didn't even want to look at the menu. It wasn't that late at night, but both of us were tired and we were sitting in a 24-hour diner with a big menu. I was going to tell the waitress to surprise me, but Skip didn't think that was a good idea. I have a way of putting people off sometimes apparently. I didn't expect to see anything new, but my eyes did find one little gem: brains and eggs. Done.

My mother talks stories of my Baba eating scrambled calf brains and cows tongues and the like, and yesterday was the night before her birthday, so in a weird weary way I decided that eating brains wouldn't just be a good experience for me, but it would make her proud too. I was served a big plate of brains and eggs, and a healthy mound of grits. I washed it down with three large glasses of orange juice. An hour or so later, my belly was full and I fell fast asleep in my tent, on the lawn of a Baptist church, by the highway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember one of the last times you went off the wagon. Ate my damn Big M cheeseburger. dammit I really wanted that cheeseburger.

Kneece said...

OMG! you're really taking this whole non-vegetarian thing seriously! wow! i admit i did eat haggis in scotland, although, i'm not sure that ranks up there with brains. i guess it's not the end of the world. i think i could take a little taste, but i'm not sure i would clean my plate. bravo! i love your description of the end of your night. great!