Friday, October 3, 2008

The District Does Not Sleep Alone Tonight

75 miles from Grace.

I'm staying in a fifth floor apartment in the Columbia Heights section of DC, just a few blocks from the The Chalfonte in Argonne Place where, in years past, I spent many a blissful evening.

The title of the blog? Another time. My purpose now is to explain to you, my dear readers, exactly what it is I'm doing here.

I represent Skip Potts, founder of the non-profit organization People for Education Equality pfee.org (pee-fee) as of ... well, today. We met exactly a week ago when he showed up on my doorstep, wet and panting--the first couchsurfer I had ever hosted. Skip is walking across the U.S. to raise awareness and funds for educational equality, and while that is something I can get behind, I have my own reasons for being here. Oh, that's right, Skip asked me to join him on his journey roughly 36 hours after we first met. Roughly, I will be Skip's SAG wagon for the next couple of months, transporting some equipment and helping him to document his experience. To read about Skip's experience in his own words, click here.

It is late in our nation's capital. Tomorrow will be one month till our presidential elections, and we have a lot of work to do. How do you feel about the state of education in our country today?

No comments: