Sunday, November 30, 2008

At a Loss in Gainesville

It's been over two weeks since my last post, and for this I apologize. I have been doing a lot of writing, I just haven't been posting. A good friend of mine wrote to me, telling me, "When we don't hear from you, we assume you're in jail." So, I post. And no, I haven't been incarcerated ... yet.

Skip and I have been in Gainesville, Florida, since early Thursday morning. After a Wednesday of walking in the wrong direction in Alabama, Skip decided that we would just leave that night and drive down here for Thanksgiving with his good friend, A. We're still here. It looks like Skip is going to set up camp for a little while here in Florida. He plans to make headway on his book before getting back on the road in a few weeks. By that time, I will be somewhere in Europe.

A few weeks ago, hearts fell on Alabama when I told Skip that I would not be rejoining him after my return from Europe. There are a number of reasons why I won't be rejoining him, both practical and sentimental. While it's true that I do have to start paying back my student loans, this time away from my love has been difficult.

My original plan was to drive back on Wednesday, December 3rd, but I might leave before then, as soon as I can finish up some work for Skip. There are still some things we need to shoot. After that, though, the work will not be over. I plan to do whatever I can from wherever I am for the organization, even if Skip can only give me an arbitrary title for my imaginary seat on his Board of Directors. (Too much IRS paperwork, I'm told.)

Where does that leave me and my writing? I will conitnue to write, updating here and there throughout Europe, if I'm given the chance. When I return to the U.S., I will try to be more consistent with my posts.

Thank you all for your patience and your desire to read more of my life. I write for you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If your ass is in good old Hazard County for more than 12 hours sometime this winter you need to get your ass to my house. I miss you brother.

Kneece said...

We love reading about your life! I'm so touched by how in love you are with your love. It's so beautiful! I hope y'all have a wonderful time in Europe especially in Montpellier. Did you ever hear back from Mike? Let me know! Gros bisous!

Megan aka Mmapula Reamogetse said...

Have a great trip to Europe! Lookin forward to more Freeland thoughts...